Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fear of fiction


I have, on some level, accepted that I am a writer. I do get a paycheck as a result of being a writer (a specific type of writer, yes, but they do pay me.) I do this blog, which involves some writing, now and again. So, yes, I guess I have the ability to write. However, what I do not do is write fiction.

I read fiction. I love fiction. I love to tell a story. But those stories have to be based in fact, in actual events. I can't make up a story. Besides assignments in school, I've never written any fiction. And, honestly, I don't know if I could. Fiction requires a bravery I don't think I have. When you write fiction, that's all you. If I'm just telling a story, well, that's the way it happened and there's no changing that. When you make up a story, that's your mind, your heart, that's your story.

I'd like to think that some day I could write a story. But when I start to think about it, maybe to explore an idea, two things happen. One: it always seems like that any idea I have must have been done before. And, most likely, much better than I could do. But, maybe, I talk myself out of that, past that point, and I start to develop it in my head. Well, it just sounds so poorly written (almost "Twilight" bad!) I just can't do it.

So, all you fiction writers, I raise a glass to you. Thanks for being brave. Maybe, one day, I'll try to be brave as well.

4 comments:

Geoff Schutt said...

Hmmmm .... Isn't the reader in the photo looking at an encyclopedia?

Geoff Schutt said...

I've been thinking about this post, and what I'm reading between the lines is how brave you really are. The questioning aspect is only natural. I suspect you could write a wonderful novel, if you wanted.

Desire, determination, need -- these each drive us.

Unknown said...

Somebody has to write Nana's story. Why not you?

Geoff Schutt said...

I agree with Karen. I'm assuming the potential work she's referring to would be memoir or biography, not fiction -- but in any case, you have the talent to follow through, Angie. Your words throughout this blog speak that talent loud and clear.