Friday, April 2, 2010

OMG! 4COL, YMMV. (LOL)

I went to a concert the other night. It was an excellent concert in a lovely venue: not boring at all. But, as it happens these days, I made an observation that makes me feel like I should have my grey hair up in a bun, one hand on my cane, the other cletched in a fist as a shake it, hollering, "These kids todays! Get off of my lawn!" Because, seriously, can't you put away the phone for the three hours during a concert?

Seriously, why all the texting at a concert?

When I was a kid, we didn't have all these fancy devices to keep in touch with everyone constantly. When we went to a concert, we kind of had to pay attention to the guys on stage and/or the people we came with. That was it. You were stuck with those choices, not that this was a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with waiting until the next day to call your best friend and tell her all about the awesome concert you saw last night. Why must you tell someone right that very minute you are at a concert? Are we tweeting the concert? Does your immediate opinion matter that much? And, please, if you must text, please, please turn off your screen light, because those flashes of light are just damn annoying.

And maybe it's none of my business, but when there is a very clear announcement informing you that photography is not allowed, and then, the minute the lights come down, there is a row of folks in front of you lifting their cell phones and snapping away, why don't the ushers do anything aout it? It just annoys the crap out of me. You're in Row Z! Seriously, if you need a picture of the band playing, there are hundreds of them on-line, most much closer and better quality than you could every hope to get. Just put the phone away and enjoy yourself for a few minutes.

No comments: