Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Emotionalism

I've been thinking about why I write. I'm sure there's an aspect of selfishness: telling my story, my way, with my point of view. But I wonder, is my story that different from anyone else's? And that, deep down, is the question: how different is my story and, frankly, how different do I want it to be?

I realize that I want people to feel something when they read what I write. I want them to relate or, if nothing else, think about an issue or a time in their lives. But at the same time, I want to own that story. The emotions tied to these stories are mine, and I wonder if I'm giving up something by sharing a story. Am I giving away a part of my self? Even if I am, is this a bad thing?

The answer, of course, is that this is not a bad thing at all. I completely want the reader to take this part of me and pull into into themselves. At the same time, these emotions I have surrounding what I write, they are mine. The reader may have their version of emotions tied into the story, and that's alright. In fact, it's better than just "alright." If I can write something that stirs someone's emotions, I have succeeded. And I can't think of anything better than that.

1 comment:

Geoff Schutt said...

You shouldn't think so much about "how" people will read your words. You are a writer, and people connect with you (witness this blog, for example!). Once you put your words out there for the world to see, you lose ownership of their personal meaning. You're still the author, of course, but people will make it personal in ways you cannot even imagine. This is a good thing. And it means -- write, write, write. Again, don't "overthink" outcomes.