Sunday, February 27, 2011

Demanding less

The other day it snowed again up north and, once again, school was closed. Apparently, most of the school systems are out of snow days, so the kids might have to go into the summer. On facebook, moms start writing in, saying they hope the governor swoops in and changes the law. In other words, they actually want their kids to have less school then what they are supposed to have.

This confuses me. Look, I get kids not loving the school year being extended, but when the parents are writing things like "If they make my kids go, I'll keep them home sick," I just don't get it. If the governor was going to cut the music program or one of the sports, I'm sure the parents would be going crazy, but the idea of keeping the mandated number of school days intact is somehow unacceptable. I actually asked some of them to explain and I got the usual "stop and smell the roses" responses. To which, I roll my eyes.

I'm not saying one day makes a difference, but kids interpret things in weird ways. You make a big fuss over a day of school (which is not an *extra* day, but the proper number of days) and the kid might start thinking that there's something acceptable about cutting corners. Or not doing what you're told. Why should they take out the garbage; mommy doesn't follow the rules either! Okay, that's a bit melodramatic and probably too far, but I think it's a bit far to ask the governor to change the law so that your kid gets to stay home an extra day.

When I was teaching, the chair of my department used to say that education was the only service where the consumer demands less. Kids want less homework, easier tests, but they're kids. I like to think that they don't really know better. I'd like to think that if we had it to do again we'd push ourselves more and appreciate the opportunities to learn. But I can see, it's probably not true. And that kind of makes me a bit sad.

3 comments:

Adam807 said...

Here's what I've never understood about this (it never came up when I was a kid): Don't most kids have things planned for the summer? Like camp? Or family vacations? Things that might already be paid for? It just seems like a rough thing to spring on a family.

AMA said...

I suppose there are some kids who have things planned the very next day after school gets out, but I think, for the most part, there is a gap of a couple of weeks. That all said, then quietly take your kid out of school.

I have no problem with a parent making choices for their kid on certain days. You might have your reasons in the middle of the school year, and that is part of your right as a parent. It's the "the governor needs to change the law 'cuz I think it's stoopid" declarations on facebook that annoy me.

Unknown said...

This year - my brood started a bit late and they cut the Christmas holiday (Winter Break). My kids bitched the entire time that they didn't have the time off... they also laid around the house (I have to chase them outside), complained there was nothing to eat (which means we were out of chips and pizza rolls), there was nothing to do (they hit level 986 on their video games) and I had to whip them to do housework... I LOVE when my kids are home!!! heh heh.

Seriously, aren't there more important things for moms n dads to worry about other than a week or two of extended school???