Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Making a change

I am planning on moving the blog soon. Details will be coming, so keep your eye on this space. The reasons behind this have to do with a few things: annoyance with Blogger (the server that hosts this blog), my need to edit, just wanting a change.

Most of you are probably unaware of this, but Blogger was down for quite a while for a few days mid-May (around Friday the 13th which explains my missing posts from that time). Here's the thing: I know that there needs to be occasional maintenance, and computer issues happen and all that. And I know that I get the services of Blogger for the low, low price of free. But it's crossed from the occasional annoyance to the unacceptable.

Blogger's always been a bit sensitive. It freezes up on a semi-regular basis, losing my edits. If I pay attention, I can usually notice it in time to cut and paste into another place, and I won't lose what I've been working on. But when I miss that window, it incredibly annoying and much cussing occurs. The obvious work-around for this is to write in another program (such as Word), then cut-and-paste it into Blogger. Except that touchy Blogger always makes this behave oddly. If you look back on this blog with a critical eye to things like font size and spacing, you'll notice the occasional weird one. This is from when I cut-and-paste from Word and, try as I might, I can never quite fix it. And I'm insane enough to have things like that bother me.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that it's not like Blogger is some small bog-hosting site. It's Google! Shut downs of more that a couple of hours are completely unacceptable. If it gets to that point, they should have sent out an email. We all have to have an email address to register our blogs; they can reach us. Especially when it acts fine in one window (where you compose), then won't publish and that work is gone! I hate redoing a post; it feels fake, like reposing a picture you missed.

At this point, I'm still living here, but trying to decide how and when to switch. Don't worry; I won't let you miss it.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I am not a writer, though I love to type. I love to feel the keys clicking under my fingers have words show up on the screen.It has the same effect as holding a paintbrush for me. I started blogging because I was lonely. I just didn't have anyone to talk to. I had teenage kids and a husband which for me didn't alleviate the loneliness, it just isolated me even more. I couldn't find a real in the flesh outlet for my need to talk due to other circumstance, so I started looking online. Once I started actually connecting with people I was amazed by how well it suited what I needed. Now I have a little group of friends, some of who have come and gone over the years,some who I have been talking to for year, and even met in person. It's amazingly helpful when I start feeling isolated.
My posts still get eaten on a regular basis, and my formatting is also unpastable from word, but I know I can pop up a post that says I need help and someone will respond.
Weird, but that's the way it is now.