Sunday, March 29, 2009

My dinner with Steve(n)


This week I went out to dinner with a friend from high school. He was Steve in high school but now goes by Steven, which is off for me, so he gets Steve(n) from me. I'm sure he's thrilled with that. Steve was one of my best friends in high school. We started drifting away from each other in college, then he moved to California. 

Even though we've had a period of 20 years or so that we hadn't been in touch, we're back touch now. And the thing that amazes me is that it's so easy to just hang out with him. It's like that 20-year gap doesn't exist. We have stupid jokes, we can talk for hours, we wear the gossip shoes. It's fantastic. But it's not just Steve. Thanks to the power of Facebook and time on my hands, I've been able to reconnect with a lot of old friends. Sure, some of these reconnections are "hey, how's it going?" "Fine." "Me too." But some of these, we're friends again. We have a relationship again.

My sister has always been great at keeping up the friendships over the years. She sends the Christmas cards, remembers the birthdays, drives 100 miles out of the way to meet for lunch. I'm not as good at these things. I lose touch. I meant to send you that card. Oh, was that last week? Facebook is great for us lazy types. Oh, look, it's Bill's birthday tomorrow. I'll throw a cake at him. And, you know, most of my friends are lazy that way. But I don't mind. Because I just want to hear from them again. 

So, this has rambled quite a bit. Let's sum up: friends are good. Old friends are great. Gossip shoes rule.

No comments: