Thursday, March 12, 2009

My little yellow book


When I was working at Rohm & Haas, I started writing in my little yellow book. (I'm aware of the timing as the book was a lab notebook I took from there. Let's not tell anyone.) All that I have in the book are quotes I like. I haven't written down who said them or in what setting; these have to be stand-alone quotes.

The first quote is basic: "Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself." Yes, sort of sappy, but, still I stand behind it. Some of the earlier entries, well, I was still young. But I love going back and reading them, getting a sense of where I was at. I have song lyrics, silly quotes, bits from movies and books, things friends have said. Some of them were clearly written when I was going through a tough time, and some of them are Beavis and Butthead.

I obviously have various quotes about life and love. I am a girl. I have a lot of quotes about science, because, well, I am also a big nerd. I'm always surprised at how easily I remember where these bits are from. And when in doubt: Repo Man.

I do love my little yellow book. It's better than a diary: better written, deeper thoughts, no secrets, and, yet, it still reflects my life at those various moments.

1 comment:

Geoff Schutt said...

Alex Cox never got(gets) the real credit he deserved. Thankfully, you're helping, even without saying his name.

They are working on a sequel, you know. More quotes.