Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Day at the Beach with President Garfield


Yesterday was one of those days I should have more often. Visiting a friend, exercise, walking on the boardwalk, historic sites. Of course, today I'm sunburnt, sore, and bitching about bits of bike seat still stuck in my butt. 

Bru invited me out to Long Branch for a day of bike riding, crazy dogs, and Jersey shore adventure, and I took her up on it. Before I went down, Mr. Higgy-Piggie ask me when was the last time I rode a bike. Had it been that long? He pointed out that he never saw me ride a bike and he's known me for about 14 years. And it's not like I was this bike-riding fool before I met him. Luckily, riding a bike is, well, like riding a bike. Not saying that I didn't almost run Bru down a couple of times.

After living around in the Philadelphia area for over 20 years, it still amazes me how quickly you can be at the ocean. The ocean! With a boardwalk and everything! Bru keeps explaining to me that this is why she lives in Long Branch, as if I need convincing. So very nice. And it was really beautiful yesterday. Almost too nice, which is why we both have sunburns.

We did a lot of bike riding. Okay, it was a lot for me, being the out-of-shape wimp I am. Poor Bru, had to listen to my whining. But we saw it all: the ocean; pretty, rich-people houses; Garfield statue; the Church of the Presidents; Asbury Park (for rock 'n roll cred). 

It was just nice to hang out in a beautiful, interesting place. Although I'm bitching about it today, it's kind of great to be sore from so much exercise. 

A good day is going bike riding with a friend. A good day is seeing the ocean. A good day is dorking out by a Garfield statue. A really good day is free dessert. A great day is having all of that in one day!

And, despite what she says, Bru's dogs aren't that crazy.

No comments: