Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thoughts on Pandora


Lately I've been playing with Pandora and I'm trying to decide if I like it. I like the idea of its potential to expand my musical horizons. I like that it's free. I like that you can update your preferences, etc. But I am finding it limited.

I haven't really listened to it very much (probably a total of less than 10 hours) and the number of repeated songs I have had is higher than I would like. "Imagine" has come up a couple of times and, although I like it, there are so many other John Lennon songs out there. "Imagine" illustrates another point: Pandora doesn't seem to dig too deep into the catalog, which doesn't really help you discovery new music. If I check that I like "Imagine", shouldn't Pandora play something a little less common? Play "Jealous Guy", see if I like that as well, and then keep going further. I'm also wishing there was a better rating system. Thumbs up or down is not enough. There are a lot of songs I like okay, which I may throw a "thumbs up" at, but if it's something I really love (or really hate), shouldn't that affect things more? Once again, I like "Imagine" but we've all heard it a million times. I really love "Nobody Loves You when You're Down and Out", but all I can do is give it the same rating as I gave "Imagine."

There seems to be a love for live versions of songs, which, bleh! Sure, once in a while live versions are cool, but there's usually a reason a band has spent months in a studio recording an album. And because of the limits of the rating system, I don't want to hand out a "thumbs down" just because it's live. The other day it played a live version of "Badge". I like Cream, I like the song, didn't like it live. I want to hear more Cream, so I give it a "thumbs up" but now am I going to get more live stuff?

I'm trying to give it more time, but the repeating thing is getting to me. Right now, it's playing "Rebel, Rebel" again. I know that Bowie is a one-hit wonder and all...Grrrrr.

So, a blog and Pandora. Am I the coolest girl in 2003 or what?

No comments: