Saturday, August 2, 2008

Poor Elvis


So, last week Mr. HP and I went to see The Police with special opening act the awesome and fabulous Elvis Costello. I'll write later about The Police and other thoughts about the concert in general, but let's talk Elvis. 

I absolutely love me some Elvis. Having Elvis on the bill was what pushed me over the edge to get the tickets (or, more specifically, forced Mr. HP to buy the tickets.) However, I knew there would be drawbacks to having Elvis as an opening act. First, most folks in the audience are there to see The Police. Sadly, there was a certain amount of "who's the dude?" from the people who bothered to show up on time. Second, Elvis needs hours to get through a fraction of his material, not the 45 minutes or so usually allowed for an opening act. Plus, he's promoting a new album. But he's still Elvis.

Before we go further, yes, he was great. But there was a moment... I've seen Elvis before. He really likes it when the crowd sings along (which, frankly, I find a bit weird. I was there to hear him, not us.) As I mentioned above, most of the crowd wasn't really into the Elvis scene, but he clearly wants us to sing along to this next song he's rockin'. So here's what he picks: "Head to Toe." Really?! Sure, I love it, but it's not even a "hit" -- Mr. HP had never even heard of it and he's at least a kind-of fan. And then Elvis screwed up the words. Oh, Elvis.

Still love him. Still would see him in concert any day of the week. 

No comments: