Thursday, August 7, 2008

Music for Old People


As promised, here's the rundown from The Police concert. Now, people my age want to think that The Police and Elvis Costello are so hip, but, let's be honest, we're all older now, and this was an old-people concert. If you doubt it, let's note that the ticket said that the concert was to start at 7:30, and, at 7:28, the lights were out and Elvis was on stage. We are old and do not have time to waste!

I've already told you a bit about Elvis, and I really did enjoy his set. The mix was a bit off (too bass-y, as these things tend to go). He mostly did the "hits" ("Watching the Detective", "Radio, Radio", etc.), which is fine and appropriate given the audience. I can't help but feel that if we went to one of his concerts where he was the headliner and he wasn't playing to Police fans, he would've dug a bit deeper into the catalog. I loved the arrangement of "Everyday I Write the Book". He did "Alison", which I always find a bit boring, but Sting came out to sing it with him. The way Sting was singing along, like he was a huge fan and he won some awesome contest: "I get to sing on-stage with Elvis Costello!" And, ha! to all you jerks who came late because they only wanted to see The Police.

I still can't get over how much Elvis wants us all to sing along. He did this last time I went to see him (18 years ago! Good God, I am old.) We were all listening politely, because I paid to hear an Elvis Costello concert, not to hear the jerk next to me singing the wrong words to "Accidents Will Happen." But he still yelled at us for not singing. 

Okay, now to the headliners. Let's just say I could watch Stewart Copeland play the drums for 24-hours a day and not get sick of it. And when he stepped away from the kit to play other percussion (for "Wrapped around your Finger", etc.), so very awesome. Now, here's the weird thing I noticed. About mid-way through the set, it occurred to me that no one member was leading them. It was three guys, each playing their part (quite well, I must add), but they were so tight, they didn't need one of them to lead. They each had a part of the stage, and I just don't think they could see each other, but they were totally together. There were a few bits where they had to move closer together, which just proves the point that they probably couldn't see each other. Well, I was impressed.

And we were on the road by 10:30. Old people -- we've got to get our sleep; we have jobs, you know.

No comments: