Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Just the way you are

I have a lot of fine qualities, but I'm not stunning. I'm not throwing a pity party here, but the fact is there are incredibly beautiful girls out there and I am not one of them. This is not to say that I don't have my type of beauty. But I am not the girl that is noted for beauty. I have to rely on my other characteristics.

It's different for beautiful girls. I'm talking about the really beautiful ones. The top one or two percent. The ones who men stop to talk to and then buy them drinks, even though they have a whole row of drinks (and men) in front of them. The girls who can throw on a sweater and look better than I look after I try on everything in my closet and spend a half hour trying to get my make-up and hair to behave. The girls that people drift towards for aesthetic reasons.

What must it be like to not have to depend on other parts of yourself? What is it like to be the one people gravitate towards, the one picked out in a crowd? Do they worry about their beauty faltering the way I worry that I might say something stupid? Do they ever wonder what it is like for the rest of us or do they just not notice that people just go to them?

It bothers me when those beautiful girls act like they don't know it. How could they not? Was it always that easy for them? Do they not understand that the rest of us have to rely on being smart or funny or clever to get this sort of attention? Do they miss not being invisible at times?

Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe if I were a beauty, I'd worry about it fading. I'd wonder if someone cared about what I said or what I did. I wouldn't want to be the center of attention. I suppose that you always want what you don't have. But, I must admit, I'd love to try it on for a day or so.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I think beautiful people who don't realize they are beautiful are lying. Just saying.
I am the attractive in the right light, with the right make-up, wearing the right clothes type of person.
You are attractive, or you take exceedingly good pictures. You become more beautiful every time I read one of your posts.