Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sailing to Philadelphia

This weekend, we head to Philadelphia. I have a weird relationship with Philadelphia. I lived in the area for over 20 years, I went to school there, but I never truly felt I was a part of it. Philadelphia is a hard nut to crack. Philadelphia is that tight-knit family that you might marry into, but they'll never completely explain all the private jokes and secrets to you. You'll be part of the family, but not really.

Twenty years is a long time to live anywhere. I moved around a lot when I lived there, but I stayed close enough that when someone from out-of-twon asked where I lived, I just said, "Philadelphia." Although I was technically an adult when I moved there, in some ways, it was where I grew up. I was a kid just out of college when I arrived. I did the "adult" things when I was in Philadelphia: grad school, home ownership, marriage, divorce, mortgage, 401K, adult things.

The Philadelphia area is really beautiful. They love their history and they really try to preserve as much as they can. Everywhere you walk, there are landmarks: places Ben Franklin lived or the first something in the US. You stop to think that, wow, George Washington actually did sleep here! For a while I lived in a town that was over 300 years old (this about that for a minute), and there were streets that were just rows of lovely colonial houses. The real-deal colonial houses. If it has even a possibly that it might mean something, Philadelphia will throw a plaque on it and you cannot tear it down ever. I kind of love that.

Philadelphia has a chip on its shoulder. It's not that it wants to be New York City, but it's so close. It's like that cousin who always did everything better than you and was prettier and married that doctor. Not that there's anything wrong with you, but everyone talks about that cousin. When you live in Philadelphia, you go to New York for stuff, but you resent it. You hate their sports teams.

I can't say Philadelphia is my favorite city or that I'd want to live here again, but I'm excited to see it again. I'm getting a cheesesteak, heading to South Street, and eating too much at the Reading Terminal Market. It's gonna be great!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I have never been to Philadelphia but I had that same feeling when visiting Boston. History all around you and it's well protected. Walking around Cambridge feels like you are walking with the ghosts of every person who walked there before you. It was a very unique experience.
I hope you have a great trip.