Friday, November 7, 2008

I am not used to winning


The past couple of weeks have been weird for me. My guys have won. I can't get my mind around it. I am way too used to backing the loser and being able to shout, "Wait until next time! Then we'll get you!" And then I can feel sorry for myself. But now, my world is upside down.

First it was the Phils. The Phils!? Wait a minute, did they even break .500? They were in the play-offs? Really? When did that even happen? And then they actually win the World Series. I have lived in the Philadelphia area for 20 years and Philadelphia teams do not win world championships. Sorry. That's for other cities, cities I don't live near. 

Sure, we got close a few times. I went to the World Series in 1993. Very exciting, fun for us all, but the Phils lost. To Canadians. Sigh. I remember when the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup finals and the trophies were on display at 30th Street Station. (Yes, I stood in line with all the sports guys to ooh and aah at the pretty, pretty trophies). But they lost. As did the Sixers when they were in the finals and the Eagles did in the Super Bowl. It's not that we're used to it, it's expected. Seriously, we won something?

The legend is that once a building in Philadelphia was built taller than the William Penn statue on top of City Hall, no Philadelphia team would win a championship. And sure enough, that's what happened. So, a little over a year ago, they put a William Penn statue on top of the new Comcast building (which is now the tallest). And looked what happened! Which is kind of hilarious.

Sports are fun, but the election of a president, that's amazing! I'm still getting used to the fact that I actually voted for the guy who got elected! This is just very weird for me. I'm just so happy that we actually picked the smart ones! There's still a part of me that can't believe it. How did the US go from voting for such an idiot to Obama? I am so proud of the US!

A side note. My spellcheck still does not recognized Obama. But will correct it to Osama. 

No comments: