Monday, February 23, 2009

California tumbles into the sea


Yesterday, someone from grade school sent me a friend request on facebook. Let's just start by saying how much I absolutely hated grade school. I do not want to be a little kid again, I don't want to be a 10-year-old, I don't miss the "innocence" of childhood. Being a kid was no fun. You have to follow a whole mess of rules; school is boring; you can't drive; heck, you can't even check out more than five books from the library.

I was awkward. I had bad teeth. I was shy and unhappy. The only good news was that I thought everyone else was also as miserable as I was, so it's not like I thought a was missing out on anything. And, as much as I disliked early grade school, it did not prepare me for the hate I would have for 6th and 7th grades. But the details of these years are for another time. Let's just say I was not the popular girl, and I was especially miserable, mostly because that's when I realized that other kids were not miserable. 

But this was many years ago. I have moved on (mostly). Sure, I saw some of those grade school idiots at the reunion, and all I could think is "Thank God I got the hell out of Toledo and away from these assholes." But then facebook came into my life. On one hand, it's been great reconnecting with all these people from my past. But on the other hand, a friend request from the crappiest time of my life, from one of those guys that made it crappier. And I'll admit, I accepted the request partially to see what (if anything) he would say to me and partially to see if he turned out to be a loser. 

Should I tell him what an asshole he was? Should I unfriend him? Should I just pretend that everything is forgotten? Should I move on?

I'll tell the truth; I really want to tell him to fuck himself. I am not deep.

No comments: