Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mirror ball


I don't like my body. I look in the mirror and I see the flaws. It's lumpy and out of shape and, well, over forty. I know that things could be worse, but things could be better. If you were describing me (and were being nice), you'd say I was "curvy." I'm in okay shape: do a lot of walking, that sort of thing. But there are times I see myself in the mirror or see photos and just absolutely hate what I see. So, I have a question: should I learn to love my body or is it better to not?

There is a part of me that thinks I should learn to accept my body. I should love myself as I am and get some damn self-confidence. I see women (and men) who are larger than me and just seem so comfortable in their skin and I wonder how they do it. Could I do that? Should I do that?

There is another part of me that says I shouldn't settle. That I could be better. That I should buckle down and diet and exercise. If you're dissatisfied with the way things are, should you just accept the way things are or try to change it? I do think I should try to change it. But then I worry that I will never be happy with the way things are. That no matter what I do, I'll see the flaws.

No comments: