Monday, February 16, 2009

I fake it so real


I just watched the pilot for "Dollhouse." Oh Joss, you know we want to love everything you do, but there's just something missing. I understand that it's just the pilot and one hour isn't enough to fully flesh out a complicated story with wacky sci-fi details, but there are some obvious problems straight up.

Although I generally like Eliza Dushku, she just doesn't work with as this character. She's Faith -- tough and street-smart, not this kind-of-innocent, blankish slate. I just don't think Eliza Dushku can pull that off (although I think Amy Acker could have). And instead of trying to make her fit that character, they should have changed the character a bit. Here's my idea: make it so that the dolls can't be wiped completely, that there are traces of each mission left behind. Heck, let's go one step further and say that the older dolls get "used up", kind of a Logan's Run sort of deal. Make the "newer" dolls worth more. Then you could have Eliza Dushku be a sort of world-weary type of doll, near retirement. That would fit her better.

Maybe I missed it, but are all the dolls women? Because I am not in love with the idea of these girls being completely manipulated by a bunch of (mostly) men. It's not that empowerment message I was hoping for.

Here's a question: why don't some of these shows take advantage of the internet. I'd guess that about 99% of the folks who watched "Dollhouse" are kind of internet junkies. Instead of clunky exposition, you could kick people to a site. We're nerds! We'll do the homework! We'll do the background reading and click on sites and listen to ads so that we can learn more. Take advantage of that. If you can do a sing-along blog, you can give us some backstory on-line.

Now I'm off to fix "Two and a Half Men." Oh, just kidding.

No comments: