Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Thrill me, chill me


Now that I've had my ipod touch (I've already been corrected too many times that it is not an itouch!) for about two months, let me tell you what I think about it. Let's start by saying that I really do love it. It's super-slick and fun to play with. There's lots of free apps (and even the pay ones are cheap), so you can load it up with all sorts of useless nonsense. Do I need a woo! button? Of course not. But I have one.

I actually use it primarily as an ipod. I know, weird! And it works fine. It sometimes turns sideways or changes the display when I swear I haven't done anything to it, but it's an ipod. I don't like that the way you upload songs is different. For my previous ipods, I could juts drag a song onto the device in itunes. Now I have to put it in a folder, which then gets uploaded once you sync it. If you don't sync, no upload. Same with pictures, which seems like extra steps. The old way was better.

Although there are a lot of free apps, it's kind of a pain to find out which apps you really want or need. I don't think the store does a particularly good job explaining what the apps do, and there still needs to be some organization to the store. My guess is that they have a lot more apps than they had anticipated. It's fairly overwhelming. But, here's an example, I wanted an app for twitter. Well, there's about 20 apps that you can twitter on. It's not clear what makes them different, why you would want one over another, etc. You kind of just have to download and try them out.

The wi-fi thing is also an issue for me. I'll admit, I'm a bit slow with this technology stuff, but I seem to have a hard time hooking up with wi-fi. It'll say there's a network, and I'll select it, and it will say that I'm connected, but then when I go to an app that requires the hook-up, nothing. I wonder if the iphones have the same issues, being in a plan and all. And, warning to those of you who get an itouch (shut up; that's what I'm calling it!): it will search and search for a network and run that battery down, so shut off wi-fi unless you want to hook up.

I know I'm not using it to its fun potential, but already, I'm digging it. I'm not much of a games gal, so it's nice to be able to grab a few for free and then not feel guilty for not using them. I'll try to get better at some of the mobile apps. Really.

No comments: