Monday, February 2, 2009

Rethinking location


We are thinking about where we want to live. I want to live near a Metro stop, because I want to get into the city easily. I want it to be easy to pick up and go into DC. I want no excuses. And we want to live where we can walk to places: stores, restaurants, etc. So, Bethesda seemed to be it.

We have since seen a number of houses, and we think we have a fairly generous budget, but these houses. They just make me sad. Or annoyed. All of these need major changes. Mr. HP and I are thinking, should we be spending this much and compromising this much as well?

Yesterday we went to an Open House in the neighborhood I am currently living in. As you know, I live walking distance from work, but not walking distance from the Metro. What you might not know is that the community I live in is a sort of artificial town. It's got a center, places to eat, places to shop, Whole Foods. It's convenient, but a bit soulless. Anyway, back to the Open House. This house was as cheap as any we've seen (cheaper that most of them, by a lot), and it had almost everything we want. And I'm thinking, maybe it would be better to walk to work than the Metro. So I am rethinking my location philosophy.

I have to say, it does feel a little like we're selling out. Is this what we really want? What about the charm of an old neighborhood? What about those cute, little houses? Are we going to go downtown as often as we should? I feel like we didn't use Philadelphia enough -- is the same thing going to happen here?

Anyway, I'm thinking about it. There's certainly a good chance I'll rethink the rethinking. As I do. Poor Mr. HP, having to deal with all this...

No comments: