Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm just a dandelion


I wish I were braver. I wish I had the courage to do drastic things. Everything I do is thought out. I have a back-up plan. A back-up to that plan as well. I can't remember that last time I did anything on impulse. I won't even take a trip on impulse. I'll barely leave the house just to see what happens.

There are things in my life I wish I had done, choices I could have made. I have no idea how things would have turned out, but sometimes I wish I would have tried something a little crazy. Or a lot crazy. I have always gone the safer way. The sure, probably-more-boring route. I've never really had an adventure. I've barely had a "miss-step". I haven't had interesting mistakes. I haven't had big surprises. And I believe it is because I am so calculating.

I'd like to be able to throw caution to the wind. To be brave enough to make a crazy decision. Heck, to get really drunk. But I don't think that I'm brave enough to let go. And I think I am missing out on things because I fear taking chances. I would like to be brave, but I always hesitate. I need the wizard to give me some courage.

1 comment:

Geoff Schutt said...

The Wizard would, of course, tell you that the courage had been inside you all the while, and he'd pin a shiny (but somewhat cheap) medal on you, and expect you to go on your way.

You, on the other hand, having suddenly realized your courage, would demand that the Wizard do something "wizardly" -- to prove himself to you, and also convince you of your new-found bravery.

The Wizard would then take a good long look at you, and nod his head, and say, "You're exactly right. There's no denying it."

And though he would keep your first great adventure a secret, you would leave him knowing this had indeed happened -- it was all true -- and there'd be no plan, no back-up plan(s) -- just the "beyond the door," fully within your control, and yet, open to those grand surprises -- the magical things -- that life brings at exactly the moment you need them most.