Friday, February 13, 2009

Conversation with Mom


Mom: Why don't you look for houses in Virginia?
Me: It's too far, Ma.
Mom: Are the taxes lower?
Me: I believe they are, but it's still too far.
Mom: It doesn't seem to be that far.
Me: Really, it's too far.
Mom: ...but if you can buy a cheaper house...
Me: I can buy a cheaper house in Montana, but it's too far, and I really don't want to take the Beltway everyday.
Mom: I don't think you'd have to take the Beltway every day. 
Me: Ma, look at a map.
Mom: I am looking at a map. There's a major highway that crosses right into Maryland.
Me: 495?
Mom: Yes. See, it's a major highway.
Me: Mom, that's the Beltway.
Mom: Oh, no, this road is outside of Washington.
Me: It's the Beltway.
Mom: Really?! 

Pause.

Mom: Can you take another way over?
Me: Not really.
Mom: Well, there's got to be another bridge over.
Me: Not really.
Mom: I can't believe there's not another bridge.
Me: Mom, look at the map.

Pause.

Mom: Well, you'd think they'd build more bridges.

That's my mom: willing to build bridges so that I can buy a nicer house.

No comments: