Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's out there


Our house is officially on the market. I am so relieved it is out there, but now I just want some activity. It's weird to sell your house. On one hand, I think it's a super-great house, clearly worth millions of dollars and I can't understand why someone isn't trying to buy it this very minute. On the other hand, I see all the flaws and all of the reasons someone shouldn't buy the place.

I actually think the house looks great. All of the rooms are pulled together. Minimal, but nice. The closets are clean, everything is organized. It's as nice as it's ever been. I think of some of the houses we've seen. Shudder. Weird stuffed animals as kitchen decorations, clothes in the shower, baby seats on the dining room tables. What are these people thinking? Yet, I worry that with all our work, it's still going to be a struggle to sell the thing.

It's tough not knowing when this will happen. Will it take days, weeks, (god forbid) months? What kind of price will we get? Will the next person who sees the house be the next owner? How many times will we have to show it?

Of course, once someone buys the house, this new life gets more real. There is still a feeling that I could just go back to my old life, as long as we still have the house. I can still be in a bit of a state of denial as long as I can go back to the house. I wonder what I will actually feel when we sell the house. Will I be happy and relieved, or will I freak out all over again?

At least we got the clothes out of the shower.

No comments: