Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Falling in love


As I dive into the house hunt, I wonder if I should approach this logically or if I should hope to fall in love. I have a list of things I want in a house: a certain number of bedrooms, fireplace, nice yard, etc., but I know that this list isn't the whole story. I've seen houses that, on paper, have everything I would want in a house. And, yet, they did nothing for me. I want a house that is cozy and wonderful and welcoming. I want a house that is beautiful and makes me sigh, "now that's home!" 

I know that a big part of it is what I will do to a house. That I shouldn't put too much on the feeling I get when I walk in, because it will be totally different once our stuff is in the house. The scientist in me has this checklist and, if a house hits those points, I should at least consider it. That I should think about that house for a while. But then I walk in and I'm totally that asshole who makes a judgment in about 20 seconds.

It's not like I don't think I could change a house. Every house I walk into, I have a million ideas of things I could do to it. Redo this, paint this, take out that wall. I just know that we get lazy once we move in. I guess there's a part of me that thinks that if a house has that cozy, wonderful feeling already, maybe we can hold onto it for when we move in.

So, I guess I'm hoping to fall in love, but fall in love with something that works on paper. Yeah, I'm trying to bring logic into my love life. Again.

No comments: