Sunday, January 11, 2009

Martha Stewart hates me


My sister is a big fan of Rachel Ray and Martha Stewart. So, a few months back, she writes to get tickets to the taping of a show, and she waits. This Friday she hears from Martha (well, not directly): she's got tickets to the January 27 show. Yay for her! So, like the good sister she is, she asks if I want to go. Actually, that's not strong enough -- she really wants me to go with her and Mom, sort of a girls' trip to New York.

The problem is about 10-fold. It's really a terrible time: we're trying to get the house ready to sell (and still have a ton, a ton of cleaning and rearranging to do), work is nuts, I have no vacation time, we're thinking of moving the cat down the weekend before, I have the first meeting of my bookclub that night (and I really wasn't planning to read "The Monk" just for fun.) I just feel like I really can't do it.

However, I also feel like I'm always letting my sister down. Last week I asked her to make me some window treatments in a hurry, and, no questions, she's on it. She's sent me some fabric samples, she's got ideas, and I'm sure they will be ready in a couple of weeks, in time for when the house goes on the market. She wants me to go see "Martha" with her -- sorry, no can do.

The worst thing is that my sister will be absolutely understanding about the whole thing. No guilt trip, nothing. It's just unfair. I could never be that nice. So, I'm trying to figure out if there's anyway I can do this, but it just makes me tired to think about it.

I blame Martha.

No comments: