Sunday, January 4, 2009

This changes everything!


I was trying to explain to Mr. Higgy Piggie why it's important to have clean, organized closets when we show the house. The obvious answer is that if it looks like you don't have enough space for your stuff, future owner thinks they won't have enough space for their stuff. But, for a lot of women (myself included) I think there's also the idea of the "magic solution." That, no matter how disorganized you are, if you find the right calendar, purse, closet organization system, BOOM! you'll be organized. It never works. But, subconsciously, I believe that when someone like me sees a nicely organized closet, they think, "they've found The System!" 

I think the more disorganized you are, the more you believe there is a solution out there -- you just don't know about it. I also believe, a certain amount of how organized you are is just part of your genetic programming. My sister: organized; me: not so much. Unfortunately for my sister, her oldest  has my genetic programming, and, therefore, messy closets and an obsession with "Ripley's Believe It or Not." (My sister to me: "Seriously, what the hell?!") And since some of us don't have the programming to be naturally organized and we see others that do it effortlessly, we look for The System. 

Of course, there are industries built around selling The System. Oh, I try not to fall for it, but then I come home with a series of rods and boxes from The Container Store. And Mr. Higgy Piggie just sighs.

The place where I am most likely to fall for it is in the purse department. Surely this one will hold my billfold, ipod, glasses, phone, book, notebook, pens, maps, and sewing kit in a tiny, cute package that I can get to everything easily! Which is why I carry a backpack a lot. This way I can also bring socks.

No comments: