Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mr. and Dr.


Bru pointed out to me that both the president and vice president are married to doctors. And there's a part of me that's, "Cool; we love smart chicks!" But there's also a part of me that wonders why the girls aren't in charge. 

I'm not trying to say that being a wife and mother isn't important. I'm not trying to say that one has to have a job to be satisfied and fulfilled. What I am saying is that it's a bit too easy for women to step back and let the boys be in charge. If a man had gotten his PhD or law degree and decided to not work, do you think that society would be, "Now there's a guy who's doing the right thing?"

I can't imagine giving up what I've work towards. I went to school for a reason, and it wasn't housework or carpooling. And, sure, that's my choice, but I'll bet if I'd have had kids, I would've heard the "bad mommy" judgments. And I'd bet even more that Mr. HP wouldn't hear anything about, "Have you ever thought about staying home with the children?" Even though I went to school for more years, work longer hours, and make more money.

I'm glad there are smart ladies associated with the powers that be. But nothing against their husbands, I just wish they were the powers that be.

No comments: