Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Flashback time!

Hulu has all of these free movies and today I'm watching "St. Elmo's Fire." First off, it's awesomely dated. First scene, Andrew McCarthy is not only smoking inside, he's smoking in a hospital! Ha! The shoulder pads, the high-waisted jeans, the saxophone! God, I miss the '80s.

I'm embarrassed to say that when I first saw this movie, I thought the characters were so cool and interesting. Okay, Demi Moore and Rob Lowe play messes, but the rest of them seemed cool to me, still in college in Toledo, Ohio. But watching it now, they're all such assholes. Mare Winningham is the only one who seems to be at least a tiny bit un-asshole, but they all kind of make fun of her. She's fat, she's dating the wrong guy, she's getting money from her dad. And friends are the perfect ones to point that out to her. Friends who are cheating on their mates, drinking too much, stalking, calling each other in the middle of the night, doing and selling drugs. Yes, please give me shit about wearing a girdle. Jerks.

No image today. Blogger won't let me upload. Try to be strong.

No comments: