Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a girl wants


I was thinking about winning the lottery. Yes, this is a realistic concern, especially since the odds are clearly in my favor and I don't actually buy lottery tickets. This does not prevent me from think about what I would do with the winnings. And I realized I was absolutely stumped. If I won the lottery, I really don't know what I would do. I might quit my job, but, then again, I'm not sure what else I would do. I might move, but I don't know where I would want to live. Would I travel? I suppose, but there's a limit to how much I would want to travel. I also like to be home, although right now I have too many and not enough homes.

The question is: should I know (or at least have an idea) of what I would do if I won the lottery? Of course, as it's not realistic, it's somewhat a waste of time to dream about having millions. But I actually think it's a good idea to consider what you would do if you won the lottery, because it helps you decide what is important to you. If you would travel if you had a million dollars, but you're not traveling now, well, maybe you need to be rethinking what you're doing with your time and money now. And if you would quit your job the second you won the lottery, maybe you need a new job. I know it's not realistic to just up and quit your job, but maybe you should be taking steps to change your job.

It concerns me that I don't know what I would do if money, time, resources, etc., were not concerns. Right now, at this point in my life, I don't know what I want. And if I don't know what I want, I don't know what steps I should be taking. I guess I always figure I should be working towards something, and I'm not sure what it should be these days. It's been a while since I've had some sort of goal to reach for.

However, it may good for me to just be for a while.

No comments: