Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A few things about today


What a fabulous day! Everyone seems so happy! It's really great and exciting. I feel like we've turned a page. A horrible, very long page. It may take a while, but I have great hopes for the future. 

My favorite moment: when he was walking down the corridor before he was sworn in, he had That Moment. Have you had That Moment? That Moment of hyper-awareness. I get them when I have big talks. I got one at my wedding. Before I defended my thesis, I knew I would have one. Sure enough, about 20 minutes in, it hit me, "This is it! I am going to be a PhD!" Walking down that corridor, Obama had this serious expression on his face, but then, there was this flicker. This moment where he was about to break into that huge grin, and the realization that this. is. it. It was awesome.

Another thing: yes, it is historic that he is our first black president. I absolutely appreciate that. But this should be a historic occasion because we all have such hope. Because this is a glorious day. Because he is smart and interesting and tolerant. Because, even if he were a white man, this would still be a historic and wonderful occasion. Okay, extra props for the African-American thing. But I want him to just be a great president, no qualifiers. 

The absolute funniest moment was when one of the announcers on MSNBC compared the Bush administration to the Romanovs. I nearly wet my pants.

It's a wonderful day.

No comments: